January 28, 2014

Venting at a telemarketer

I'm usually polite with telemarketers. I have caller ID, so if I know ahead of time that a telemarketer is calling I simply don't answer the phone. No law says you have to answer a ringing telephone. If I get caught by surprise and end up talking to a telemarketer, I usually politely excuse myself, sometimes politely saying, "I'm going to hang up on you now."

But a couple of days ago I got a call that I welcomed if only for the opportunity to vent. And vent I did, quite vociferously. The call was from SiriusXM, the satellite radio company, and I knew that by looking at caller ID. I bought a new car last year and it came with a one-year subscription to the service. Nice, but I thought it probably wasn't worth renewing the subscription. I have other alternatives for electronic music in that car. I knew this call was coming, so I was ready for it.

"Good evening, are you Willieyum Don-yall (William Daniel with an Indian accent)?"

I learned a long time ago to never use the word "yes" to a telemarketer. The recording of your voice saying that word can get unscrupulously edited into an answer you did not wish to give a yes to: "Can we sign you up for this $5 million life insurance policy?" followed by your voice saying "yes." It has happened, so I never say yes to anything a telemarketer asks me. "Lovely day today, isn't it sir?"

"No."

So, I immediately took the offensive with this guy without acknowledging that I was Willieyum Don-yall. "Who are you and why are you bugging me? I know damn well that my subscription will expire soon and I have no intention to renew. I got about 12 letters from you begging me to renew, and threw them all in the trash."

"But, but ..."

"And furthermore, SiriusXM is supposed to be advertising-free radio, but you guys have been breaking into my Spa channel (relaxing, trance-inducing elevator music) to tell me my subscription is about to expire, which because I'm not stupid, I already know."

"But, but ..."

"So, I'm glad you called so I have this opportunity to yell at someone over this. You can bet your ass I'm not going to renew my subscription. Anything else you want to discuss?"

"Um, Mister Don-yall, I am so sorry. I was told they don't do that. I will tell my superiors and take you off of our call list. Have a nice day."

I'm not suggesting you deal with all telemarketers in this way, but I was waiting for this day, and it felt good. How do you handle telemarketers?

By the way, isn't anyone serious anymore? I have Sirius radio and software from a company called Cerious. I'm tired of all this cutesy manufactured spelling. It's becoming epidemic in the music industry, but that's a subject for another blog post.

Thanks for reading.

© 2014 Will Daniel
www.willdaniel.com

3 comments:

  1. I usually let them go to voicemail, too, and there's only a message if it's from energy companies. I have answered some by accident, but said, "No, sorry, you have the wrong number." *click* I've often thought though that maybe I should have more fun and answer in another accent, too. I tried blocking numbers through AT&T, but I can only have 20 telephone numbers and it has maxed. Hey, at least you got to vent! I didn't realize about saying "yes" and them recording it. That's a great tip to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day there Will, I had the same thing happen to me. You see, I have the same name as you ( William Daniel). I had one of these people ring me with an Indian accent saying Willieyum Don-yall or close to it. Maybe we got the same guy. Cheers mate.. Will Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will, you made my day. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on today's post. Thanks for reading.